Sunday, January 30, 2011

Arc of Dreams 2

Okay...

Sure. Why not right? I mean sequels never ever ruin the original. Right?

Anyway lets look back at how this happened so that we can fully appreciate just what a BAD IDEA it is.

So Wonder Comics is pretty old at this point. They've been up and they've been down and sometimes I love them and sometimes I want to tear out my hair and feed it to a cat just so that it hacks up a vile greasy hairball that i could then hurl at the people that insist on SHITTING on everything I grew up reading as a kid.

Case in point several years ago they decided to have this colossal crossover, using every hero with a vaguely magical back ground.

You know. Like Conundrum. The only version of Superman that ever caught my attention for more than say, oh, twelve seconds.

So they get them all together. They have this HUGE BAD ASS story and then at the very end they yank the rug out from under your feet, roll you up in it and rather than throw you off a bridge they slather you in honey and turn a bunch of horny bears loose on you.

Okay. Your experience in that regard may very.

The upshot is they got rid of magic. All of it. Even the parts that didn't suck donkey balls.

Now i normally wouldn't complain about getting rid of magic. I mean one of the classic tropes of comics is that Magic > Superpowers which means it ends up being sort of the "fix-it" button for the universe.

"Oh! We fucked up. Gosh. There isn't any reasonable way to fix this without actually trying to write a good, well thought out story so lets just bring in The Sterling Sorcerer and have him fix it."

Yay. I'm so glad you have a character you can turn to when you do something stupid.

Too bad it ends up invalidating everything that all the less insano characters do in the process.

But that is true of non-magic characters too so... whatever.

The point is that they decided they didn't want to deal with the magic crap anymore so they got rid of it.

A few years later, far more than I would have given them credit for actually, they had the Arc of Dreams.

Now Arc of Dreams sort of rubbed me the wrong way when it started. I mean it was like they were trying to make people forget about all the stupid shit that had happened after they got rid of magic (I presume everyone remembers the 'glory' that was the Superhuman Registration Act... News Flash Wonder. It didn't work for Marvel and it's not going to work for you.) by having stuff happen that could not possibly be ignored. Destroying a fair chunk of Chicago. Killing most of Eastern Europe. And let us not forget the "Jesi" or how ever the hell you spell that.

Now the funny thing is that in the grand scheme of things it turned out pretty well. Maybe a little cerebral and Meta for my taste but all in all pretty cool. Now they're have a second part and I don't get where they are are going to go with it.

I mean the only thing I can come up to top it would be the end of the world like six times in a row. Whew.




No comments:

Post a Comment